Signs and symptoms
Main signs and symptoms of breast cancer
In most cases, breast cancer develops throughout many years without any signs, which is why it’s important to :
- detect it early, as part of regular medical monitoring;
- adopt a healthy lifestyle, which can promote a cancer-free life.
In addition, even women who do not have a family history of cancer or any other risk factor can develop breast cancer. Therefore, and unfortunately, no woman is immune from this disease. Hence why it is crucial that you pay attention to all the signs and symptoms.
The most common sign of breast cancer is a lump or swelling in a breast that does not cause pain. So be aware of such a change.
Here are some other signs to watch for:
- Changes in breast size or shape
- Dimples or folds in the skin of a breast
- Redness, swelling or increased warmth in a breast
- Persistent itching
- Nipple retraction (turned inward)
- Crusting or scaling nipple (small flakes of skin that fall off)
If you notice any of the signs or symptoms of breast cancer listed above, see a doctor right away.