For several years, the month of October has been dedicated to breast cancer awareness in order to ensure that the public is aware of the reality of this illness and the importance of research and support, and to encourage people to pay attention to the health of their breast.
A few statistics
- One woman in eight will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- One woman in thirty-one will die from the illness.
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and is the 2nd leading cause of death from cancer in Canadian women.
Thanks to the unwavering efforts of dedicated people and organizations, there has been incredible scientific progress!
The importance of taking breast health in our own hands
The Foundation continues to recommend the following 3 complementary practices:
- Breast observation.
- Clinical breast examination with a health professional.
- Mammography every two years starting at age 50. (Unless otherwise recommended by a medical professional)
A pink filter for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
During Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Quebec Breast Cancer Foundation will give you access to a pink photo filter via Facebook. Upload your photo to your Facebook page to show your support!
Jewelry for the cause
Adorn yourself with one of our jewelry pieces during Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Each item purchased makes a difference for Quebec families who are affected in any way by breast cancer.