Breast Cancer, a Cause that Concerns Everyone!
- It is estimated that 25,000 women in Canada will be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 and 5,000 will die from it.
- It is estimated that 6,000 women in Quebec were diagnosed with breast cancer this year and 1,350 will die from it.
- Women between 50 and 69 years of age have the highest rate of breast cancer. Breast cancer accounts for 29% of diagnosed cancers in women between 20 and 49 years of age, and is the leading cause of death from cancer in this age group.
These statistics indicate that, in Quebec, if these trends continue:
- one out of nine women will develop breast cancer in the course of her lifetime;
- one out of 30 women will die from it;
- as well, it is estimated that 210 men in Canada will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 60 will die from it.
Increased Chances of Survival
- Early detection increases the chances of survival and gives access to more effective treatments.
- The mortality rate from breast cancer has been declining since the mid-1980s. It is now at its lowest level since 1950. Lee age-standardized mortality rate1 has dropped by 43% since 1986.
This decline is due to earlier diagnosis, made possible notably by the Quebec Breast Cancer Screening Program (PQDCS), as well as more effective treatments brought about by research.
This progress is also due partly to medical research, which makes it possible to develop more effective treatments, screening and health promotion programs.
1 Number of deaths from cancer for 100,000 people, adjusted according to age distribution of Canada’s population in 1991, in order to take into account changes in age distribution over time.
We need you!
While the advancements against the disease are quite real, more time and considerable investments are needed for research, education, and for raising awareness, if we are to achieve a world without breast cancer. This is why we invite you to give generously to support this cause. There are several ways you can help:
- by donating to the Quebec Breast Cancer Foundation;
- by participating or volunteering in one or more of our fundraising events;
- by organizing your own fundraising event;
- by becoming an ambassador or a speaker.
Thank you in advance for your support!